La Neuve Route and Rue du Croquet

 Start at Parish Hall St. Aubin , duration around 35 minutes.

Parish Hall

 

Once the parish hall and police station were the St. Christopher Family hotel, which was built in the 19 century. Before that the area was used as a shipyard. With the invention of the railway, St. Aubin came in fashion for holidays makers what gave rise to the local economy. The St. Christopher Hotel changed its name to St. Aubin Terminus Hotel.

 Ther railways station was right behind the hotel. Look close at the right side of the parish hall, there are two  boulders remain.They prevented that the railway wagons bumped against the hotel. 

 

With the extension of the railway to  Le Corbiere St. Aubin got even more interesting for holiday makers. Sadly a fire destroyed the railway station in 1936, which caused the decline of the Jersey railway.

 
Due the German occupation the railway revived for military reasons. Behind the hotel the German build a shed for locomotives.


Parallel to the promenade to St. Helier is La Neuve Route or Victoria Road.

La Neuve Route (Victoria Road)

 

Before 1810 there was no road between St. Aubin and St. Helier. The only connection was along the beach and that was only possibly at low tide or by ship due high tide.

 

Lieutenant governor  Sir George Don built the first road between St. Aubin and La Haule, the drawback was that the road was to steep for horse carriages. In 1884 the road was extended, St. Aubin Old Market was linked to  La Haule and the street got its name La Neuve Road.

Peterborough Garage

Where once was a shipyard, we find today a gas station. The remains of the shipyard were found due construction work in the eighties.

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church

 
Right to the gas station is the Catholic Church of St. Aubin. The church looks quite vintage, but it was built in 1937.

Priest Maga collected the money for the church. Because it was time consuming to visit the Catholic Church in St. Helier. Each Sunday a train brought the Catholic communtiy of St. Aubin to St. Helier and back.

 
The building activities for the church were started in 1937 , but it  lasted 2 years to finish the work, because of the  German occupation.

The building company was Charles Le Quesne. Above the front door a stone anchor and V reminds on the German occupation.  The anchor represents the battle ship  Admiral Graf Spree, which sunk in the battle of Plate. The V stands for the red cross ship Vega. The first ship that arrived after the end of the occupation and which  provided the islanders with food and other necessities.  A symbol for the end of the occupation and suffering.

Le Croquet

 
Behind the church Sacred Heart is the car park Landslip, which was built into a hill. The French work for hill is Le croquet. The hill is made up of granite, once its separated St. Aubin and La Haule until La Neuve Road was built.
Across  the car park  is La Haule Manor.

La Haule Manor

Today La Haule is a hotel, it doesn't belong to St. Aubin, but it played an important role in the history of St. Aubin. The manor was first mentioned in 1430.

Build on royal property, the landlords weren't allowed to become seigneurs until 1597. They had to sign the Franc Fief de St. Brelade. The Dumaresq owned the property till 1488, than it was passed to the Valpy dit Janvrin family by the governor. In 1513 the Dumerasque family bought her property back by applying the law retrait lignager. Which said that if the current owner isn't able to obey the heritage law, the property can be bought back from the previous owner, without the possibility for the current owner to reject the offer.

Due the plague 1626 Elisabeth the Dumerasque and an French doctor, who took care of plaque victims at La Haule Manor, died on the plague. In 1644 the manor was passed to her son Elie.

As Elie Dumaresq shot himself by cleaning one of his weapons the property was passed to his sister Susanne, because he had no male heir.


She married her second husband in France, because she was pregnant at this time. Susanne was very smart, she owned the corn market in St. Helier. The corn market was located at Royal Square across the statue of king Charles.
She combined the market with a pub and lived at the first floor. Therefore she was well informed what happened on Jersey.


The current manor was build in 1796 by Phillp Martet and his wife Anne Janvrin. The manor offers some special points of interest, a dove tower (one of two in Jersey, the second can be found at Hampton Farm),a chapel which was converted in a cottage. Due the history of St. Aubin, the manor provided canons for the protection of. St. Aubin. Some cannonballs hits can be still see  at  the surrounding wall of the manor.

We walk further to Mont au Roux, we have to be careful because the pavement ended after La Haule Manor. We turn left to Rue du Croquet.

Rue du Croquet (High Street)

Rue du Croquet is a charming street with old merchant houses on both sides. Due the 17 and 18 centuries the street was filled with merchants and ship owners, who worked and lived here. Today most of the houses are converted in hotels or bed & Breakfast. The cobblestone street was rebuilt by the parish. The stones once belong to the railway station.

La Cordiere

Once the house belonged to William Brine, who established together with Phillip Marret of La Haule the rope manufacturing at St.Aubin. The name of the house "La Cordiere" means rope.

The estate reached until  the upper part of High Street including La Tour.

La Tour

The house belonged to Phillip Martel and had the name La Maíson Martel, but he went bankrupt in 1751 and sold the estate to William Brine.

The son in law of William Brine converted the house in a boarding school and built a tower nearby, which gave the house its name La Tour. After the closing of the boarding school the estate was passed to Mr. Dart. He divided it in two parts and sold the washhouse across, which got the name Bentcliffe. The ground belonging to the estate was sold to Archdecon Heard, who built Sanchi. In vicinity of Sanchi is Le Cercle , a house represents the Bauhaus architecture.

St. Magloire

Once the house belonged the cod merchant Charles Robin, who died in 1824. His mother Anne d'Auvergne inherited it from her father Jean. One of the first founder member of the St. Aubin Chapel of Ease. The chapel stood before the St.Aubin church was built.

Together with her sister she owned a ship equipment shop. The house was first mentioned in 1640. Charles Robin renovated it completely in 1802 to enjoy its retirement.

La Profonde Rue

It is a side street of High Street, with little cosy houses.

La Rocque

The date stone of the house has the initials WS AG and the year 1711. The initials stand for William Snow and his wife Anne Hamelin. He was a privateer and engaged in the cod business with Newfoundland. The entrance staircase is made  of wooden beams.

The Hollies

The house  is dated back to 1685, look at the date stone to proof it. The house has also its old windows.

Ty-Anna

Once the house belonged the grandparents of Charles Robin, who lived at St. Magloire. Their names were Raulin Robin and Marie de Carteret, she was his second wife. Their initials can be seen at the front together with the date 1715.

On the right side is a little window, with a shelve, once it was used for powdering wigs.

L'Espeithance (L'Armistice)

Back to high street  on the right  is the house L'Espeithance (french for hope).The pediment carries the initials JK 1700. This stand for Jean Kastel, who married the sister of Jean Martel of St. Brelade.

Both emigrated to France, and founded the brandy company Martell in Cognac.

Peterborough House

The house is dated back to 1690, it was the birthplace of Dean Francois Jeune(1806-1886), who became bishop of Peterborough. The vault of the house is impressing, today it is used as breakfast room.

Les Burins


This house also belonged to William Brine and is dated back to 1785. Once it had a ship house in the backyard and  an own slip-way, until La Neuve Route was build.

The Parsonage

The house is one of three houses ,which were build for the sons of the Robin family. After the dead of their father the houses were sold.

The house was bought by the St. Aubin parish, because the old  vicarage wasn't contemporary. The name of the house change from Plaisance to Parsonage.

Belleville

 

This is the second house ,once  it was  the telephone center of the parish until a new one was built at Red Houses.

L'Anciennete

The house is dated back to 1737, near the chimney are the initials JJV. This stand for John Javrin of  St. Brelade

His sister Anne married Phillip  Marret of La Haule Manor and his daughter married Phillop Hamon, their initials can be found at the house "Sabots d'Or" quite next on.



The house had an inner court, which reached  to Clos du Croquet, and two small pillars, only one remains . They can be found near Caesrea Cottage.

The Initals of Jean Janvrin can also be found at the north pier with date 1818.

Share